How to Post Jobs on Craigslist: Step-by-Step Instructions
Create An Account
- Before you’re able to post your listing, you’ll need to create an account on Craigslist. From the Craigslist homepage, click “create account” and enter your email and password.
Now, you’ll need to navigate to your local Craigslist homepage. This will be the city you’re hiring in. If you are posting a remote job, choose the city where the company resides.
- Once you are on your city’s homepage, click on “post to classifieds” on the left-hand menu.
Create Job Posting
- You will now see an option for different postings. You’ll want to select the option for “job offered”.
- On the next page, you will need to choose which category your job fits into. You can choose multiple categories, although keep in mind you might need to pay a fee for each category you select.
Now, you will enter all the details about your open position. This includes a title, job description, and salary or compensation level. In the search results, your title is the only thing that shows up, so it’s important to write something that stands out to applicants.
Make sure to also be as descriptive as possible in order for job seekers to find your listing on the results page. Feel free to add information about your company, benefits, company culture, social media links, and/or photos.
- You can also select the type of employment so that job seekers can filter their search results by employment type.
- There is a section on this page where you can enter how you want to be contacted. You can choose candidates to contact you directly through Craiglist Mail Relay (which routes the email to a third-party system) or to your real email address.
- When you are finished writing your description, click “Continue” at the bottom of the page.
Confirm and Pay
- You will be taken to a confirmation page to make sure all your details, including your location, are accurate. If this is your first posting from your account, you will be asked to confirm your email address before publishing your job posting.
- After confirming your email address, you’ll choose your payment method (American Express, Mastercard, Visa) and be instructed to enter your details.
- If everything looks good, click “submit”!
Other Ways to Post Jobs
As you can see, it’s easy to learn how to post jobs on Craigslist! Remember, job postings take around 10-20 minutes to appear on the site. All paid postings will remain online for 30 days, or unless they are manually taken down. If you haven’t filled the position within those 30 days, you can repost your listing (keep in mind this will incur a similar posting fee).
While Craigslist is a valuable resource for employers and recruiters, we recommend using them in conjunction with another job board. ZipRecruiter is a job posting website that sends your post to over 100 different websites to get your listing as much exposure as possible.
They also use intelligent candidate matching to show you, applicants who fit your exact criteria, so you won’t have to waste time manually sorting through resumes. If you want to learn more about how to post a job on ZipRecruiter, then read through our detailed walk-through guide for more information.
More Job Posting Resources
Are you interested in how Craigslist differs from other job sites on the internet? It’s always best to diversify before making a solid decision. That’s why we put together these articles on the difference between Craigslist and Glassdoor and Craigslist and CareerBuilder.
We hope you love the products we recommend! Just so you know, Talk District may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.